THE CANARIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (ITC) AIMS AT PROMOTING THE INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT OF THE CANARY ISLANDS THROUGH R+D+I ACTIVITIES AND PROVIDES TECHNICAL SERVICES TO SMALL AND MEDIUM-SIZED ENTERPRISES IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS: RENEWABLE ENERGY, DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES, MEDICAL ENGINEERING AND BIOTECHNOLOGY.
In ITC biotechnology department, experiments are carried out to test the biotechnological aptitude of native microalgal strains at a semi-industrial scale. The department also provides companies with scientific-technological support (infrastructures, equipment, consulting), helping them to develop systems for producing and processing microalgae in the ITC facilities.
THE ITC BIOTECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT DEALS WITH TWO MAIN ACTIVITIES:
- scientific-technological support (infrastructures, facilities, equipment, advice) for the production and industrial processing of microalgae → companies (incubated/hosted)
- applied research on new technologies for microalgae cultivation and processing on a pilot and industrial scale (demonstration projects) → technology transfer
SCIENTIFIC-TECHNOLOGICAL SUPPORT (INFRASTRUCTURES, FACILITIES, EQUIPMENT, ADVICE…) FOR THE PRODUCTION AND INDUSTRIAL PROCESSING OF MICROALGAE → COMPANIES (INCUBATED/HOSTED)
Acquisition, adaptation and development of infrastructures, facilities and basic scientific-technological equipment for the industrial development of microalgae production on the island of Gran Canaria (Pozo Izquierdo, ITC lands and annexes) → Support and logistical technical support / 1st Area Technological-Industrial Development
- Supply of all types of water: seawater, hypersaline, brine, desalinated water (not Chlorine-treated).
- Experimental development of an integral management system for the treatment of the waste generated by the algae production activity.
- Algae processing plant with sanitary registries, equipped with centrifuges, spray dryers, freeze dryers, etc.
- Electrical supply of the area by renewable energy.
- Systems for the supply of combustion gases from nearby industrial processes (cleaning, purification, compression and channeling)
- Member of the Platform of Excellence in Blue Biotechnology (land farms: algae, crustaceans, mollusks and fish)
→ POLO I (Area of scientific research / Taliarte): Multidisciplinary scientific and technological counseling, analytical services, support to entrepreneurs, specialized education, recruitment of researchers, etc.
→ POLO II (Experimentation and Incubation Area / Arinaga): 7-12 hectares
→ POLO III (Area of Technological-Industrial Development / Pozo Izquierdo): 3.5 hectares within the ITC facilities available for the development of industrial projects for the production of microalgae (+ 20 hectares of potentially compatible land all around)
APPLIED RESEARCH ON NEW TECHNOLOGIES FOR MICROALGAE CULTIVATION AND PROCESSING ON A PILOT AND INDUSTRIAL SCALE (DEMONSTRATION PROJECTS) → TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER
- Transfer of technologies and methods to cultivate and process the following microalgal species:
- Dunaliella salina
- Tetraselmis striata
- Chlorella sp.
- Arthrospira sp.
- Nannochloropsis sp.
- Navicula salinicola
- Salt + Dunaliella salina
- Development of new cultivation and processing technologies, biotechnological processes (bioremediation, CO2 sequestration etc.) and product applications (human and animal food, cosmetics, nutraceuticals, fertilizers…) → technology transfer to private companies.
- Staff (Production Manager, Laboratory Manager, Processing Manager, Laboratory Technicians, Aquaculture Technicians, Maintenance Operators, Project Researchers/Technicians…)
- Production plant: 1,500 m2 (greenhouse: raceways and photobioreactors) + 1,800 m2 (future ITC extension)
- Processing plant: centrifuges, atomizers, lyophilizers, etc.
||Creation of a marine gene bank of Macaronesia.|
||Design and development of new food products from microalgae.|
||Transition to a sustainable energetic model for the Macaronesia (microalgal biomass as biofuel)|
|LACTOALGA||Use of whey for heterotrophic cultivation of microalgae|
||Use of venturi diffusers in desalination plant brine discharges to reduce environmental impact.|
|INMOSEAWEED||Microalgae in animal nutrition to enhance immune system.|
||Industrial uses of microalgal biomass.
||Extremophiles microalgae from Morocco.|
||Development of a production chain of marine and hypersaline microalgae biomass toward food market|
||Pre-industrial scale optimization of microalgae production and development of cost-effective drying methods.|
||Development of a marine algae biotechnology for the Atlantic region (Canarias-Morocco)|
|ALGABIOMAC||Development of biotechnology industries from exploiting macro and micro marine algae of the Macaronesian regions (and neighboring third country)|
|APRENMAC||Use of endogenous resources for sustainable development activity sectors and high added value: biotechnology, water and energy|
|BIOVAL||Recovery, control and management of marine resources from Macaronesia.|
|MACBIOBLUE||Demo project for helping companies to develop new products and processes in Macaronesia’s blue technology scope|
|REBECA||Excellence blue technology network (microalgae) for the Macaronesia region|
|MIMAR||Tracking, control and mitigation of marine organism spread associated to human and climate change disturbance in Macaronesia region|
|ISLANDAP||R+D+i towards aquaponic development in the up islands and the circular economy|