A2.3.3: DEMONSTRATIVE ACTION FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF NEW DIETS IN HUMANS. TESTING OF NEW AND EFFECTIVE NUTRITIOUS SOURCES FROM MICROALGAE
We will evaluate the potential of macroalgae and microalgae-derived products for human nutrition and health and eventually transfer these results to the companies in the field. Through a systematic review and a meta-analysis of the available literature, we will define the specific objectives to be achieved. Subsequently, we will evaluate the effects of microalgae supplementation in two different animal models and finally, based on the results obtained in animals, we will design a randomized and controlled clinical trial aimed at applying these results to humans.
- Publication of a systematic review and meta-analysis about microalgae and human health, which will include an evaluation of the state of the art and the definition of the objectives to be achieved
- Report on the potential effect on human health, given the nutritional composition of farmed fish fillets that are fed with microalgae
- Development of microalgae-supplemented diets and feeding experiments on an animal model for metabolic syndrome. Evaluation of profiles related to metabolic, cardiovascular or oxidative stress syndrome
- Design of a randomized and controlled clinical trial based on the results obtained in 1-3. The findings will allow us to estimate the possible effects in humans, in the context of a healthy diet or through the consumption of animals fed with these microalgae
- Technological transfer and know-how agreements with companies. Advice and tutoring
Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Instituto Tecnológico de Canarias, Laboratoire d’Electrochimie et des Procédés Membranaires (LAE) Universite Cheikh Anta DIOP (Senegal), Universidad de La Laguna, AlgalimentoS.L., Universidade da Madeira